Divulgando la cultura en dos idiómas.

KCFD warns against using generators indoors

By Angie Baldelomar

Two recent incidents in the Kansas City area regarding carbon monoxide (CO) have prompted the Kansas City Fire Department (KCFD) to increase its communication to the Hispanic community about the dangers of using generators inside the house.
On Nov. 6, 2023, three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator used inside the house. Less than a 10-minute walk from that incident, three men died and another man was left in critical condition after carbon monoxide poisoning had occurred Dec. 16 at another house. The cause also was a generator used indoors.
Javier Juarez, fire apparatus operator for Pumper 19, said that 10 times out of 10 generators are meant to be used outdoors, so people should never use them inside.
Besides generators, people are advised to be careful of other appliances that can emit CO, including furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, dryers, water and space heaters, and even idling cars. Juarez advises to always read the instructions on how best to use all those appliances.
Carbon monoxide is a “colorless, odorless gas which at high levels can cause serious illness and death,” the city’s website states. Carbon monoxide causes illness and death by minimizing the oxygen in a person’s blood cells, according to Juarez.
“What happens is that that gas gives off the carbon monoxide; and so, when you start breathing it in, it minimizes … the oxygen in your blood cells that can get into your organs and into your brain, which causes dizziness and headaches and vomiting,” he said.
As soon as anyone inside a house experiences any of those symptoms, Juarez advises evacuating the house and immediately calling 911.
“When you call 911, we come in and turn off the gas and we’ll take our monitors in and we’ll investigate why everyone is getting sick because …, the firemen also have detectors to measure the carbon monoxide and different gases immediately and that’s how you prevent people dying overnight,” he said.
The city of Kansas City offers free carbon monoxide detectors for city residents at the Health Department. To reserve a CO detector, call 816-513-6464 or email Healthy.homes@kcmo.org.
Michael Hopkins, KCFD public information officer, said there are utility assistance programs available for people turning to generators to stay warm during the wintertime.
“The first thing I would suggest is to go to the city’s 311 site,” Hopkins told FOX 4. “There are resources on there for utility assistance. They can help you get with a community organization that can help you keep utilities on so you don’t have to use a generator.”
For more information on detectors, visit https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departments/health/environmental-health-services/carbon-monoxide-detectors.


Fire Department advierte peligro de usar generadores dentro de casa

Dos incidentes recientes en el área de Kansas City relacionados con monóxido de carbono (CO) han llevado al Departamento de Bomberos de Kansas City (KCFD, por sus siglas en inglés) a aumentar su comunicación a la comunidad hispana sobre los peligros del uso de generadores dentro de la casa.
El 6 de noviembre de 2023, tres personas murieron por intoxicación por monóxido de carbono causada por un generador utilizado dentro de la casa. A menos de 10 minutos a pie de ese incidente, tres hombres murieron y otro quedó en estado crítico después de que se produjo una intoxicación por monóxido de carbono el 16 de diciembre en otra casa. La causa también fue un generador utilizado en el interior.
Javier Juárez, operador de aparatos contra incendios de Pumper 19, dijo que 10 de cada 10 generadores están destinados a usarse al aire libre, por lo que la gente nunca debe usarlos en interiores.
Además de los generadores, se recomienda a las personas que tengan cuidado con otros aparatos que pueden emitir CO, incluidos hornos, estufas, chimeneas, secadoras, calentadores de agua y ambiente, e incluso automóviles en ralentí. Juárez aconseja leer siempre las instrucciones sobre la mejor manera de utilizar todos esos electrodomésticos.
El monóxido de carbono es un “gas incoloro e inodoro que en niveles elevados puede causar enfermedades graves y la muerte”, afirma el sitio web de la ciudad. Según Juárez, el monóxido de carbono causa enfermedades y muerte al minimizar el oxígeno en las células sanguíneas de una persona.
“Lo que pasa es que ese gas desprende el monóxido de carbono; y así, cuando comienzas a inhalarlo, minimiza… el oxígeno en las células sanguíneas que puede ingresar a tus órganos y al cerebro, lo que causa mareos, dolores de cabeza y vómitos”, dijo.
Tan pronto como alguien dentro de una casa experimente cualquiera de esos síntomas, Juárez aconseja evacuar la casa y llamar inmediatamente al 911.
“Cuando llamas al 911, entramos y cortamos el gas, llevamos nuestros monitores e investigamos por qué todos se están enfermando porque… los bomberos también tienen detectores para medir el monóxido de carbono y diferentes gases de inmediato y así es como se evita que la gente muera de la noche a la mañana”, afirmó.
La ciudad de Kansas City ofrece detectores de monóxido de carbono gratuitos para los residentes de la ciudad en el Departamento de Salud. Para reservar un detector de CO, llame al 816-513-6464 o envíe un correo electrónico a Healthy.homes@kcmo.org.
Michael Hopkins, oficial de información pública de KCFD, dijo que hay programas de asistencia de servicios públicos disponibles para las personas que recurren a generadores para mantenerse calientes durante el invierno.
“Lo primero que sugeriría es ir al sitio 311 de la ciudad”, dijo Hopkins a FOX 4. “Allí hay recursos para asistencia con los servicios públicos. Pueden ayudarle a conseguir una organización comunitaria que pueda ayudarle a mantener los servicios públicos funcionando para que no tenga que usar un generador”.
Para obtener más información sobre los detectores, visite https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departments/health/environmental-health-services/carbon-monoxide-detectors.

Share:

More Posts

Tips to prevent a hangover

By Chara According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, a hangover refers to a set of symptoms that occur as a consequence

Related Posts